Sunday, July 1, 2007

Painting the World Green

For a few years now, environmental issues have seemed to take the
forefront in many people's minds. However, there is speculation about what
the public is doing to lessen the myriad of environmental problems
(littering, ozone depletion, global warming and pollution, to name a few)
that are ruining the world. It seems as if there is much talk for
change, but nobody actually wants to step up in order to correct the
problems.

In order to find out if teens are actually helping to fix these global
crises, I meandered the halls of my school and asked some students
this question: "What are you, personally, doing in order to correct the
environmental problems that the world is facing today? If you do not
believe that there is a problem, please state your reasons."


"There is a problem; however, it's mostly caused by the natural
changes in Earth's climate. I am helping to save the world (from these
problems) by separating my glass from my plastic."
-Kristen Glaser, rising senior at Central York High School


"I do believe that there is a problem, but I could be doing much more
to correct it. I carpool and use the low-emission light bulbs."
-Jayson Myers, rising senior at Central York High School


"There is a problem. (In order to fix it) I personally have invented a
product that slows down the release of phosphate and consequently
lowers the pollution of waterways due to phosphate runoff."
-Alex Ghaben, rising junior at Central York High School


(published in July 2007 edition of York Daily Record Teen Takeover by Seth Black)

No comments: